Movies

Movies
It's time for the release of the Oscar Nominated Films

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Great Gatsby (2:23) 2013

I was anxious to see  Luhrmann's  version of a Fitzgerald's book which I had read in college many years ago. I had seen the Robert Redford - Mia Farrow version in the 1970s and just loved it - especially Redford in the famous pink suit. My friend and I went to the movies knowing that  Luhrmann's version had mixed reviews. Ten minutes into the film I understood the mixed reviews but the end of the movie, I really enjoyed
the movie going experience. The costumes, the set, and the party scenes were just excellent, The music was performed by modern day and popular performers Jay-Z and Kanye West.  The music was good but took a little bit to get use to. Carey Mulligan was excellent as Daisy and so was DeCaprio. My preference was Redford as a better fit as Jay Gatsby. As much as Joel Edgerton is one of my favorite actors, I wasn't thrilled with his performance as Tom Buchanan but did like Tobey McGuire as the writer Nick Carraway. The film seemed to follow the book closely, as least as I can remember and for that reason, I recommend the movie. It is fun taking a long look at the Roaring 20s. Although the movie is long, two and a half hours, the time does go back very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment